Category Archives: Software Releases

A GACutil Replacement

Some time ago, I wrote a small tool that serves as GACutil replacement. Now I had time (during christmas holiday :-) ) to put it online. I’ve called it CmdHelper, because I want to extend it over time with more useful functions without always creating new programs (DRY).

CmdHelper installs Assemblies in the GAC along with their PDB files. This is a big advantage compared to gacutil, because it allows to display line numbers for assemblies in the GAC when generating a stack trace. This makes debugging much easier.

Further it can remove Assemblies from the GAC by specifying a specific filter criteria. For example, you can remove all assemblies of a specific vendor. Or all assemblies that start with a certain string.

Yet Another Remote Control Program

Some time ago I wrote I small program, just to play a little bit with .NET Remoting. That program should allow you to start executables on a remote computer. I thought it would be just for playing with Remoting, because there are enough good programs on the market that are doing that already – for example psexec.

But recently I started implementing automatic tests for our distributed server components. As they are distributed, the tests will have to trigger multiple computers. The tests are written using NANT files. To my surprise non of the freely available programs worked – it was not possible to start NANT on the remote computer. Only my tiny .NET remoting application worked. So maybe no bad idea to publish it…although it was initially intended only to be a test app.

Download it here.

Tool for Exploring .NET Assembly References

During my Christmas holiday I had some time to write a small tool. Weather was not fine at all – it was mostly cloudy and skiing is not possible, because there is no snow.

What I did: I wrote a small tool which allows you to display all assembly references of a certain .NET assembly as directed graph. With that you can see with one sight, why you have problems loading certain assemblies – maybe some referenced assemblies are missing at all or only the versions are wrong.

Check-out the tool :-)

Screenshot